Sunday, October 16, 2011

Where the hell is Azerbaijan?!?!

Last night was International Night at the kids' school.  Essentially a big party in the gym with tables for each of the countries people come from.  The families from that country brought food & beverage, dressed in traditional attire and decorated to show off their country......

USA = Red, while & blue + table of vices
Our traditional fare included patriotic favorites like Rice Crispie treats, chocolate chip cookies, brownies, chili, Pepsi Light & Jack Daniels....and every one's favorite Miller Genuine Draft!  (OK the only US beer here).  One Dad also brought Corona....we agreed we needed to expand our border in order to improve our beer selection.  We explained it as a semi-NAFTA thing...we did share our transformers with the Canadians...so we really are all just one happy nation.

(Quincy & his good friend Stephen - who is from DC.   Both of his parents work at the Embassy - most people from the States here work for the Embassy)


Ukraine = a huge spread of Lord knows what + traditional costume

Like much of the time I order here, I didn't really know what the dishes were made of.  Lots of filled dumpling type things, stews, rolls....One dish was plain & obvious though....

While one might assume the national costume is short & tight, it was actually pretty conservative....



India = elaborate decor + abundance: while we don't have a huge Indian contingent at school, their enthusiasm totally made up for it.  They decorated their table with about a million colorful flowers and even brought Indian 'decorative accessories' to liven up the joint.  And then, their spread - WOW! - tons of food.  Samosas were my favorite.....


UNITED KINGDOM = trying to stage a take over: So there are quite a few Brits here, and a handful of Scots.....but hot damn, I really started to wonder if they were aiming to stage a coup of sorts........


Not only did they get a little spirited with the decor....

But they had quite an elaborate spread too....made little laminated signs for all their fare, English beer, Sausage rolls, etc....even a chocolate fountain!  When I questioned the UK roots of the chocolate fountain, my friend Ali retorted "does it REALLY matter where it's from?!"  Good point - but I do think it is a sign they were pandering - maybe with an aim to win allegiances.......

...I would be really worried, except I think the men wearing skirts thing might challenge the recruitment...



Azerbaijan = gorgeous women, somewhat Mediterranean food + promotional DVDs: As a member of the PTA, I helped organize this event - and took on the job of putting the country flag signs on each of the tables during set up.  I felt a little guilty about my North American centric geography knowledge when I had NO IDEA where Azerbaijan was.....BUT then, when their spread included this.........

....it gave me comfort that odds are most people have no idea what Azerbaijan has to offer if their spread included information packets!  (Sorry - no pictures of said spread & gorgeous women - irresponsible journalism I know!)


At the end of the day, it was a super fun event by my standards (Logan enjoyed it but reported it was a bit chaotic for a Friday.  The kids loved the abundance of desserts - but stayed very close to home - loaded up on scarce favorites like chocolate chip cookies & brownies).  It was a nice way to see the breadth of countries the school is made up of & remind ourselves -mostly me - it's high time to learn a little more geography!

Enjoy your Sunday - and let me know if you can locate Azerbaijan on a map.  If not, I have an informative DVD I can loan you.

No comments:

Post a Comment