Thursday, October 6, 2011

Forced Discovery

A big driver in coming overseas, for Logan & I, was the adventure & discovery it would enable....The kids don't seem so sure about this discovery thing.

Gravitate to the familiar: The kids all demonstrate some serious English favoritism...we've tried a few different babysitters so far.  And there is a direct correlation between how much English they speak and how much the kids like them.  No other factors seem to come into consideration.

Forced to branch out: Our kids are kind of picky eaters.....but Quincy tends to lead in his pickiness.  Three weeks ago he REFUSED to eat a grilled cheese made with white cheese.  Yesterday production could barely keep up with demand for said grilled cheese WITH WHITE CHEESE.  His explanation is that taste buds change every two weeks.  Whatever the reason, the kid is eating new things!  My lesson - deprive them of all things familiar and they just might try something new.


Am I really serving this?!  In my quest to find new things that might be accepted by the kids, I can across a pack of these.......

....Ramen noodles!  I was shopping with another mom who explained she could not buy them because without being able to read the label she could not be certain there was no MSG etc in the pack.  Nostalgic for college dorm days eating thousands of these with Mary Beth, AND certain my kids would love this 'new discovery', I quickly dropped 2 bundles in my cart.

And the verdict....?
They are just as fun to play with as I remember (and I didn't even show them the trick how you can hold one end, swallow them and pull them back out!), the seasoning packs - packed full of God-knows-what-  "taste like potato chips" (reports Quincy) & with our hot water dispenser, the kids can make them themselves!!!!!  So, while the nutritional value may be slightly questionable & these are not something I'd be rushing out to buy at home, they get a green light in Kiev.  I guess we will just have to serve a Flintstone vitamin along side.

Here's to fun in college & discovering new, old things

No comments:

Post a Comment