Thursday, October 13, 2011

I'm just not that into you...

Being new to the city & all, I got sucked into the belief that it is my duty to visit the key places featured on the most prominent post cards...... so I went on a walking tour of Old Town Kyiv (have to start using the appropriate local spelling now that I've been here 2 months....). 

St. Andrew's...
 
...couldn't go in due to construction - apparently they are rebuilding the foundation as it shifted with a nearby construction project up the street...hmm, sounds sketchy.   I'll note to locate the emergency exits in advance when I do get to visit

St Someone else...
...couldn't go in because it's only open on weekends - but the guide did drone on and on about the builder's parents....one being Roman Catholic, the other something else.  Also enlightened us about his half-brothers blah, blah, blah

St. Sophia's
 
 ...A crown jewel of Kyiv of sorts.....did not go in because there is another tour in November that covers that!

The Golden Gate - which once served as an exterior gate to the city...

And it did have a pretty cool 'belly button' on the floor..centered just below the main cupola...

And I will spare you the pictures of the random bricks placed here and there to remember buildings that once were.  The guide spent about as much time talking about buildings that are no longer here as those that are....

So while it was nice to walk around, see some postcard-worthy landmarks and chat with some other ex-pats, I found myself making grocery lists in my head while the guide shared her knowledge of things like the dates of the buildings & names of the architects.  So try as I might, this tour reinforced what I learned while backpacking in Europe ~20 years ago, I'm just not that into the basic facts.......


What I do find intriguing, is the 'color commentary'.  To me, the allure of getting to know a city is to learn key facts like:

1) Where is the best treat?
 
 ....hands down (so far) Lviv Chocolate factory 'drinking chocolate'.  Somewhere between hot fudge & hot chocolate.  3 flavors: dark, light & white.  To die for!


2) Where can you get a good salad?
Might not look like much, but it took ~6 weeks of legwork to come up with a delicious salad that had more green than not.  I'm learning the Italian places are where it is at!

3) Best spot for a beer?
This is not a simple one......there are many great places with outdoor seating, they even bring you a blanket!  But be sure to order a big one, customer service is an 'opportunity area' in most places..

4) Where is the best, most cost effective place to add outfit flair? 
...Cheap accessory stands are in many of the underground mini-malls attached to most Metro stations!  Outfit flair on your way to work - how clever!

So if you come to Kyiv (please do!) I promise to share everything I know.  If history is your thing, I know a knowledgeable tour guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment