Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hard Bodies & Bored kids

One of our friend's has a trainer who was competing in a bodybuilding competition.....so the logical thing to do was gather up the 5 kids and head out.....


First stop - sustinance: It stuck me as fairly ironic that before going to a bodybuilding competition, we fueled up with......McDonald's & gelato!
OMG was this gelato place heavenly.  This is the same family that introduced us to the drinking cholocate place.  The mom is Russian - so knows how to get around the city - and seems to have a sweet tooth.  A perfect combination in my book!


Next up - tanner & oil: Even more gawk-worthy to me than the crazy muscles, was the CRAZY TANNER!  While my Russian is only at the level to make out the announcements like 'men' vs. 'women' and 'under 20' vs 'over 40', these guys must have been getting graded on tan level and shine....
They even had sheets of plastic wrap covering the walls so the 'body paint' would not rub off!  Many of the guys in lighter colored 'undies' (as Zoe called them), had brown streaks on their pants....totally distracting to my 10 year old boy sense of humor..



Bored Kids: While Logan and I found the event totally random and a bit like a bad tv show you can't stop watching, the kids lost interest pretty quickly.  A self- portrait of Quincy & I during the show.......
....Quincy finished book 6 of Harry Potter during the event.  

I'm sure it is poetic justice to our parents, but getting the kids to do anything is a struggle (I so remember complaining when we 'had to' go to the Grand Canyon).  The kids would rather stay at home, play with their toys (mostly Lego's) and play video games - and complain at most suggestions to do things / go places.  Again, ironic given our move overseas for the 'adventure'! 

Anyhow, when I was walking solo through the Botanical garden today (kids stayed home to play!), I walked by a church with a mass in session.  There were a bunch of people milling about out front......I got closer and found a bunch of parents with kids! 

Their version of church daycare is have them play outside!

It made me feel better that it isn't just my American kids who "DON'T WANT TO GO!"


Here's to a Sunday of adventure - even if you have to force someone to go along!

No comments:

Post a Comment