Friday, November 18, 2011

Welcome Back to the 70s!

With fresh eyes in town for a visit, I asked for Sussie's impression of Kyiv.  In addition to saying she loves it & it is a FANTASTIC place to come visit :), it takes her back to the 70s...  She has such a good point!




HAIR, HAIR, HAIR!: Oh how I loved my moms long hair in the 70s....  
I remember crying the day she cut it short.....


...There is plenty of hair around here to bring me back!....the longer the better it seems



SMOKING & DRINKING:  Both Sussie and I have been surprised that the smoking is not as prevalent / omnipresent as expected.  I guess maybe they are too busy drinking Vodka to light up!


RECYCLE, HUH?: Especially once you are issued a special giant, blue can in which to put all recycling, you'd be a real jacka@# not to recycle in the states anymore (even Chicago has gotten it together!).  In Kyiv, despite having to pay for their plastic grocery bags, people bringing their own bags is a rare sight.......and recycling cans & bottles is not even close to on their radar.  I'm  finding it a lot harder to enjoy my Pepsi Light knowing my bottle is destined for a landfill.....maybe I should take up smoking......


THROW 'EM ALL IN BACK: OK, so maybe there are laws about car seats - I see them in the cars of our fellow ex-pats...but taxi drivers definitely do not care, and I don't get the sense the police care given how often we've been encouraged by taxis just to put kids on laps......with our company, our 5-seater car was challenged to fit 8 - so we did what every respectable 70s family did - threw them in the back!....
..........damn the iPhone to give away we aren't in the 70s!....but the kids would not stop bickering......(How did parents survive back then?!?!)


Anyhow, here's to some 70s nostalgia this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment