Saturday, November 19, 2011

Thanksgiving Fever

I LOVE Thanksgiving.....family, friends, fabulous food and no crazed gift procuring.  


Didn't think we could: But given our tiny oven (It's so small, I thought it was a microwave at first - wine for scale) & the fact I haven't seen a Butterball anywhere, I booked a table at the InterContinental for Thanksgiving....


But, we can: BUT, this week my book club friend hosted a Thanksgiving feast for our meeting......her oven is no bigger than ours and she fit that bird in....
...however, she works for the Embassy - so her bird was shipped in frozen from the States.  (frankly her entire pantry looks like she lives in Kansas - OK, I'll admit I'm a little jealous!)


THEN another friend mentioned you CAN get turkeys here - at the fresh markets......so we got a bird - head and all!  Allegedly it had been walking around the same morning & was a girl (I was told that as if that was clearly superior).


Thankfully they covered her head with a baggie - Xavier insisted we take it off.....eye sockets and all - AGH!


And there were all kinds of 'extra parts' included....
....our babysitter was shocked I planned to throw them out - took them home to make cat food!


So six days before Thanksgiving and we had a full on feast of our own.......


Thanks to Logan hauling back some serious loot from the States this week, (including 2 cans of Libby's)....... 


....the boys and I were able to make a pumpkin pie
Given the lack of Pillsbury here, we actually had to MAKE OUR OWN CRUST!!!!!  A friend passed me a SUPER fast & easy recipe which was delish!  (I'm happy to share the secret - as long as you are not a participant in the Bernauer Annual Pie contest :).  


Zoe rated the results.....


So, if I were a PSA the moral would be "here's to looking for solutions to overcome adversity", but my conclusion is here's to Thanksgiving, family & friends, turkey & pumpkin pie wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment