Thursday, September 1, 2011

Lost in translation

Russian lesson step 1 - placing delivery orders.  With our dishwasher down this week, I decided we'd go the easy route and order pizza.  Given my lacking Russian, I walked over to one pizza place while the kids were at school and attempted to place my order in advance (in order to benefit from pointing & charade like gestures).  That apparently is not allowed.  You must call.....UGH!  I was thrilled that I patched together enough to place the order - but the kids were less thrilled when 3 of the same pizzas showed up (and no, it was not 3 of the cheese or 3 of the pepperoni they wanted!)

The pointer is powerful - but still no sure bet: Yesterday I went to a fancy grocery store with high end deli counters, imported wines & cheeses etc.  My pointing finger went a long way to procuring many high priced items.  Given I was unable to figure out how many grams would = a reasonable amount, I just pointed to the salad and said "da, da" (yes, yes).  Ended up getting the entire plate of salad.  Good thing it was super delish - and even high here is not that bad for most food items (~$20)


Another day, more adventures - although I am pretty sure Quincy is totally OVER this adventure thing (suggested we go pick up McDonald's for the school picnic this Saturday!)

1 comment: