Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Ich Liebe Munchen

Part of the appeal of living in Kiev for us, was the appeal of the relatively easy travel.  Our first stop - Munchen for Oktoberfest!  While I could sing Oktoberfest's praise for days, the broader truth is I LOVE MUNCHEN!  What's not to love?!?

Insanely bike friendly: The bike lanes are everywhere - and basically are their own, smoothly paved, part of the sidewalk - separated from the cars and avoided by the pedestrians.  I held back from laying down on the ground to give the bike lanes a big hug - but I wanted to.


Contagious Festivity: Before experiencing Oktoberfest, I had assumed only the 'die hards' or 'old people' got dressed up in traditional Bavarian costume....but was pleasantly surprised to find festivity everywhere. 

Now I know it doesn't take much to convince us to dress up, (and you probably could make a reasonable case for us being both old and die hard) but honestly, we did NOT stand out.  The festivity of the place is totally contagious!


Multi-generational fun: One of the things that struck me the first time I visited Germany (while in college - OMG ~20 years ago), was how there were commonly 3+ generations hanging out at the same events / parties - all having fun together.  I still saw that this weekend.  Groups of people that look like a family reunion meets crazy fun party.....I don't have the best pictures - was too distracted trying to teach the kids how to flip a coaster and catch it with one hand.... 


Our all time favorite place in Munich - Augustiner Keller (a beer garden).  Their stock went up even higher when we discovered the beautiful, sprawling beer garden right in the heart of the city also has a good sized play area for the kids.  Why don't we have places like this in Chicago?!

Note: Zoe is pictured wearing the Durndle my mom made for me in the 70s.  I think I was about 2 when I wore it!  Zoe, being a good, solid size 4, had no idea it was a bit small (note the comparative hem length of the other girl pictured) and said it was her 'Durndle shirt'!  


Delicious (but not diet friendly) fare: while I rarely eat sausage, and try to eat more vegetables than carbs, put me in Munich and Weight Watchers points be damned!



Respect Basic Culinary Rights: Things I once took for granted as 'staples' have now become coveted / on my long list of things to bring back with me next time I go to the States.....Little, but important, things like Baking Soda (HOW can one make a decent chocolate chip cookie?!), canned frosting (I consider the boxed cake the homemade part), cinnamon and mac 'n cheese.  Take these items out of my pantry and you've cut my menu in half!  Germany on the other hand, understands that these items are not whimsical nice-to-haves.
I think I made a friend for life by bringing a fellow American her own box of Arm & Hammer.  And at the rate my mom has been sending me care packages of such staples (thanks Mom!), I'll have to take her to Germany next time!  

So go hug a German, kiss your grandmother, indulge in something delicious and nutritiously dubious, fondle a pantry staple and let me know if you ever want to meet in Munich.  Prost!  

No comments:

Post a Comment