Monday, September 2, 2013

Signs, signs everywhere a sign....


"...Blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind…..” as the song goes (anyone?!)


One of my favorite parts about foreign locations is checking out the everyday stuff; grocery stores, pedestrian areas – which so often include signs……

Like most, our kids’ school has a sign posted at the entrance.  No drugs, booze & smoking - yep - fairly standard...

But the gun?!  
You might be wondering; is there really that much 'riffraff' in Kiev?!? 
I say Nyet! 

Kiev is NOT a rough city (I’d argue more safe than Chicago), but we do have Oligarchs' kids who are driven to / from school & protected by a somewhat meat-head set
And apparently it’s legal for personal guards to pack heat.   
Thus, the sign - and - the guards waiting outside school ground



And now that Kiev finally joined the developed world & banned smoking in restaurants, one sees ‘no smoking’ signs abound.

My personal favorite (for the irony), is the one located in my gym's bathroom...

Do people - who pay to work out - really smoke in the bathroom?! 



Speaking of toilet etiquitte, Logan saw this one in a gas station bathroom.  
I am not sure who eats apples while on the pot...

But, if all it takes is a sign to keep pee off the seat, I'm having one printed for home



And now that we're potty talking, the most unexpected signs from this summer were this pair……

A closer look....

WOW!  They really need to TELL people not to do this in a door way?!

YES, this is Amsterdam – where I guess people have been known to visit & act like animals


For everybody's sake, let's all agree to neatly do our business where we should, only carry guns that shoot foam bullets & rock out to an oldie but goodie today


Happy Monday!





(The full lyrics - in case you want to sing along:
And the sign said, "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said, "You look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do"
So I took off my hat, I said, "Imagine that, huh, me workin' for you"
Whoa, oh, oh
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
And the sign said, Anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight
So, I jumped on the fence and-a yelled at the house
"Hey, what gives you the right?
To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in
If God was here, He'd tell you to your face, man, you're some kinda sinner"
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
Now, hey you, Mister, can't you read?
You've got to have a shirt and tie to get a seat
You can't even watch, no you can't eat
You ain't supposed to be here
The sign said, You got to have a membership card to get inside, ugh
And the sign said, "Everybody welcome, come in, kneel down and pray"
But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all
I didn't have a penny to pay
So, I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
I said, "Thank you, Lord, for thinkin' 'bout me, I'm alive and doin' fine, woo
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Sign
Sign, sign"


Read more: Five Man Electrical Band - Signs Lyrics | MetroLyrics 









No comments:

Post a Comment