Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Respect your noun nuances

Most people agree that Russian is a tricky language.......2+ years in, my fair share of botched appointment times & misunderstandings can attest to that.

In Russian, nouns just aren't nouns.  They change depending on the context.  

An example:
School = 

  • школа  "Shkola"
  • школу  "Shkolu"  (when you are going there)
  • школе  "Shkole"   (when you work there)
As an impatient pupil, I tend to just slur the ending an get on with it.



Today, I learned to respect the nuances.    I headed out to get the car serviced at a dealer on "Moscovska street".  Plugged it into the GPS and was ready to roll.....

...thru so many neighborhoods I started to wonder


90 minutes into the 20 minute drive, I learned to heed the nuance of those endings.  

The neat star shaped route I took highlighted in light blue....



When it comes to car servicing, I often don't know exactly what they are talking about.  
But when I was presented with this recommended repair list, I mimed out a few clarifying questions, then simply nodded, smiled & got out my wallet
I felt a bit taken advantage of & wondered if it was all necessary or even done.....


Rest assured, in Ukraine they seem to know you are dubious & proactively take steps to prove they have done the job

The technician saved & showed me the packaging from the new parts used.....

As well as the old ones that needed replacing.....
(don't know what it is - but sure looks like a wise call to get a new one)


I reminded me to respect the small things - as you certainly don't want to be the person responsible for something like this....
(Sign from expat clinic in Beijing - sent by a friend's friend who lives there - thanks Kirsten!)


Have a fab day & here's to minding the details






No comments:

Post a Comment