Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Breaking out of the icy arms of January

I can't say I am sad to bid January farewell. 

The 'flu plague' that hit the States made its way here too.....
We've averaged 1.4 kids home from school sick every day for the past 3 weeks...

(although some days, the illness level was questionable - one day X & Z were making forts 3 minutes after the bus left)


The 'December dump' (snow) + freezing January temps has created basically a giant urban ice rink in Kiev.
(our driveway is deadly - Logan & I have both bit it on this sloped sheet of ice)


The ice path on our road has gotten so deep you hardly need to steer - just bump down the track like a Disneyland car ride.


The problem is cars parked too close to said path.  This car frequently parks right across our street - next to a jagged ice rivet....
The other day, after 4 unsuccessful attempts to pass (kept skidding closer), a street clogging with cars waiting for me, I aborted my mission, backed up & went home....

...snapped my handy Snow Tracks onto my boots (thanks Karen!) & walked down the hill
(amused the workers who observed the whole thing immensely)


Thankfully, Kiev has a pretty efficient Metro system


And for a retail girl like me, just entering the station is a treat.....


You can get it all!  
Fruit....

flowers...
toys....
Your winter wardrobe!


In addition there's the surprising contrast of Soviet architectural elements...

...with in-your-face marketing installations


And while escalator bottle necks & crowding can make one question safety....


....rest assured - there is emergency safety equipment!
(reassuring, right?!)


And upon your exit, you can calm your nerves with a cup of jo & a smoke
(stands like this are common - sell instant coffee from a thermos & smokes by the individual cigarette)


But alas, with only a day left of January, we can rejoice - today we saw PUDDLES!!!!

While it may seem foolhardy to celebrate with the first melted snow, I'm gleefully present our forecast....
(4 more days of snow melting to come)

So with that - goodbye January!  Adios, до свидания, good riddance!


Here's to February, being healthy & kissing the pavement



1 comment:

  1. Hey there, Nice pics! How different is Ukraine to Russia? See What I'm saying in my blog: http://mustseemoscow.com/russian-etiquette/ Regards, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete