Monday, September 10, 2012

School & new wheels!

After some serious anticipation, construction delays & outfit planning, the day finally came...the first day of school!


THE DAY BEFORE:
(Quincy was more than ready for school to start - but was pretty disappointed that none of his top best friends were in his new class)

(Xavier, literally bouncing off the walls excited - it helped that all 3 of his favorite friends are in his new class this year)

Zoe, donned peace signs & hearts for her day 1 outfit in order to demonstrate her affinity for peace and love 
(But I guess the signs were too subtle for Kindergarten - Zoe reported an interchange with a new girl who, after observing Zoe take too many paper towels, reported 'I am going to tell my Mommy on you!')


THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!:
A bit of a slow start - even with homemade (ok 'home assembled' using frozen pastry dough) cinnamon twists for breakfast.....

But, much to my happy surprise, all 3 kids were ready FOUR MINUTES BEFORE the bus arrived with absolutely no screaming or threats


AND IT GETS EVEN BETTER:
In addition to planning outfits, we spent some of yesterday procuring new wheels......


We initially thought the roads were too bad here to ride - so left our bikes at home.......

And toady's ride to school proved that one does need to remain alert...oops - a missing grate.....

Look a little closer and you'll see you have about a 3' drop as incentive to swerve....

But, the good news is I can make the ~5km ride almost entirely on sidewalks (definitely not acceptable in Chicago if you are over 12).  The less good news is the state of said sidewalks....
Hard to see, but smoothness clearly was not a priority when this was paved.  I learned today that I am thankful I picked a bike with shocks AND I need to start wearing a sports bra for my rides.

That said, the whole experience made me feel a bit like that bad-ass from CHiPS...

The resemblance is striking, no?!

Happy back to school, happy freedom & here's to bringing out your bad-ass today!



No comments:

Post a Comment