Wednesday, May 29, 2013

This is Ukraine

Today, I stopped by the grocery store to get chicken for dinner & found only chicken wings.  Spotting a friendly looking meat lady, I asked her if there were any chicken breasts.  

She went into a long explanation - I understood about half & clarified, "so will there be any later today?".  She replied, "there is supposed to be now, but there is not - this is Ukraine!"  
(later hanging out on the loading dock - maybe waiting for that truck)

And OK so things are not 100% reliable here, OR, it's a good chance to practice flexibility....

Another example - last Friday.  We woke to no power.....I heard "it will come back on by 11:00".  With Zoe's birthday party that afternoon, we hoped so.  But alas, still no power.

Not that the girls cared / noticed....luckily you don't need power to make a crown...

Or to decorate cupcakes...
(OK I did have to go bake them at a friend's - THANKS Suzie!)

Only shift required was moving the dance party outside - so we could blast the car stereo
(So maybe 'a little ghetto' like my friend Lexy said - but it worked!)

This past week, I've spotted a few other reminders that this is Ukraine....


No pesky permits
It seems anyone can pop up a food / beverage stand.  My favorite new, random example....a coffee truck with Mojitos!

2 vices in 1 spot & he actually muddles fresh mint - Fab!

Fancy
There is a car wash at the bottom of our hill.  Fab people watching there - and you know you are in Ukraine when someone wears this to the car wash.....

...or this

Hair
But the most certain reminder that this is Ukraine - is when you see this....


So here's to rolling with it & enjoying the scenery!




2 comments:

  1. Love that I made it into the blog! Hope you know it was a compliment when I said it. So impressed with your ingenuity.

    ReplyDelete