Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Gains & Losses

Moving to Kyiv has clearly resulted in some significant differences…..greater access to some things – and less access to others.  To illustrate this, let’s review some specific examples:


Gains
If you ever pondered what ever happened to Legg’s and basically the entire pantyhose market, wonder no more....


......It picked up moved to Ukraine too!
Honestly, I have never seen such an abundance of pantyhose – and that even includes when I interned in the hosiery department at Macy’s (I was hoping for Mens) AND when I waitressed at Coco’s donning fabulous tan colored hose daily.


Losses
I know I talk about food a lot.  I like to claim its because I’m trying to keep familiar, acceptable foods for the kids.  But it is a HUGE adjustment trying to live off only seasonal products (I don’t know how our forefathers – or parents who grew up in Minnesota did it.  Hard to imagine it has only been a generation of abundant, off-season access and we are already so spoiled).  Anyhow, I was in an indulging mood, so sprung for some fresh strawberries….(corkscrew for scale - bottle of wine to ease pain of price)
They were delish as long as you could ignore the ~$0.50/berry price ($12 for this pack!)...

...And this side of fresh asparagus set us back ~$8.  
I justified it as like a fancy restaurant price…..rationalizing purchases is a finely honed skill, you know.




You Decide
Like many things, your perspective determines the next one:

Coming from me, someone with a healthy dose of facial hair, it appears to me that there is a serious case of 'missing eyebrows' in Ukraine…..
But to a local, for whom body hair is aggressively managed (after witnessing a few too many towel-free conversations in the locker room, you might even say un-tolerated), one might say the eyebrows are merely well-shaped.
You be the judge..…



Three cheers for canned & frozen produce and not waiting till it’s time to stock up on hosiery before you come visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment