Sunday, August 21, 2011

Moving to Kiev

No more shopping: In 1994 when I moved to Germany, I think I had 1 suitcase and a carry on....just my most prized possessions - favorite outfits and a German/English dictionary. 
Moving to Kiev the situation looked a little different.  40' container full + ~500 lbs air shipped + ~16 suitcases full.  How can we possibly need all of this?!  



Don't congratulate yourself too soon: The trip over was smooth - too smooth for our own good.  We got cocky.  Thought we had it made.  Then Q barfed.....two days later X did too.  And this time in the back seat of the car service we had rented for the day to go on some adventures.  Needless to say, the driver was not thrilled.  We hadn't even left the driveway - did an about face & spent the day at home.  I learned my lesson.  No more travel success gloating & ALWAYS carry wet wipes.

Beware of Nerf Guns: Despite slight hopes that the ship with our container would sink & we'd be freed from the 'too much stuff-itis', we now anxiously await its delivery (3 months without a soft surface to sit on has gotten old for Logan, I'm looking forward to being able to have 2 meals in a row without washing dishes).  After being selected for random inspection our shipment was further delayed by the 'suspicious toys' found during X-ray.  The boys are convinced the Nerf guns sent aplenty (need at least a dozen shooters for a proper war) were the cause of the customs agent scare.  Hoping the container arrives with at least most of the upholstered furniture intact.  I'm working on taming my inner-planner (It helps that my Russian is incredibly limited - making talking to anyone about the situation futile) and enjoying the scarcity in the house that will soon be a 40' distant memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment